Ashland is a town located in the Boston-Cambridge-Quincy metro area of Middlesex County, Massachusetts and part of the Metrowest region, which includes the towns of Framingham, Holliston, and Hopkinton.
For most of the 20th century, Ashland’s population remained slow in growth, until the 1950s. By the 1980s, Ashland grew from a rural town to a residential suburb. Ashland’s ideal location, midway between Boston and Worcester, provides easy access to the interstate highway system and the Massachusetts Turnpike.
As of 2011, the population was 16,000 plus people. Since 2000, the town has experienced a population growth of 9.64%.
Once the original starting point of the Boston Marathon, which still runs through Ashland, the town is also known as the site of Henry Warren’s invention of the electric clock, later manufactured here under the Telechron name.
Shopping Centers in Ashland include: Ashland Square Shopping Center, Romeos Shopping Center and Shaws Townline Plaza Shopping Center.
The town is predominantly residential and committed to a close working relationship with its business community and although it is no longer considered a rural area, Ashland still retains the look and feel of a typical residential Boston-area New England town.
With much to offer businesses and residents alike, Ashland, MA is a wonderful place to live, buy a home and raise a family.
Ashland, MA Population Statistics
As of the 2011, there are 1,280 people per square mile (population density) in Ashland. The median age is 40.5 compared to the US median of 36.6. 59.77% of people in are married and 10.07% are divorced. The average household size is 2.55 people. 49.56% of people are married with children and 51.20% have children, and single.
Ashland, MA Geography and Climate
According to the United States Census Bureau, Ashland has a total area of 12.9 square miles. Ashland is bordered by Framingham on the northeast; Sherborn on the east; Holliston on the south; Hopkinton on the southwest and Southborough on the northwest.
Ashland’s climate is variable. Winters are typically cold, with frequent Nor’easters and occasional blizzards. Ashland gets around 45 inches of rain and 48 inches of snowfall per year. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation in Ashland is around 123. On average, there are 198 sunny days per year, with July highs around 84 degrees and January lows around 16 degrees.
Ashland, MA Economy
The unemployment rate in is 5.10% with job growth at -0.52%. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be around 33.86%. The sales tax rate is 5.00% and income tax is 5.30. Income per capita in Ashland is $41,836, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $88,645.
Population by Occupation in Ashland, MA
- Management, Business, and Financial Operations 22.80%
- Professional and Related Occupations 27.80%
- Service 11.99%
- Sales and Office 25.71%
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry 0.12%
- Construction, Extraction, and Maintenance 6.99%
- Production, Transportation, and Material Moving 7.21%
Ashland MA Real Estate
Whether you’re looking for luxury and estate homes, single-family homes, town homes or a short sale, I am an Ashland MA Realtor that can help you find exactly what you’re looking for!
The median home value in Ashland is $314,900. Home appreciation is -0.02% over the last year and the median age of Ashland real estate is 29 years. Renters make up 17.10% of the population and 1.78% of houses and apartments are unoccupied (vacancy rate).
Ashland, MA Schools
Ashland Public Schools mission statement: “Ashland Public Schools provide a challenging education for each student through a common body of knowledge and values in a nurturing and safe environment. We, as members of the school community, respect and embrace the uniqueness and worth of one another, show passion for learning, conduct ourselves with integrity, and have global cultural awareness.”
The schools spend $6,974 per student. There are 15 pupils per teacher, 1,474 students per librarian, and 345 children per counselor. Public schools include:
- David Mindess School
- Henry E Warren Elementary School
- Ashland Middle School
- Ashland High School
Colleges/Universities with over 2000 Students nearest to Ashland, MA
- Framingham State College
- Wellesley College
- Babson College
- Massachusetts Bay Community College
- Brandeis University
- Bentley University
- Boston College
Ashland, MA Educational Statistics
- 2 yr College Graduates 7.42%
- 4 yr College Graduates 28.57%
- Graduate Degrees 23.20%
- High School Graduates 96.60%
Ashland Compared to Massachusetts State Average
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor’s degree or higher above state average.
Hospitals/Medical Centers nearest to Ashland, MA
- Bethany Hospital
- Cushing Hospital
- MetroWest Medical Center
- Marlborough Hospital
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Milford Regional Medical Center
- Ashland State Park
- Stone Park
- Hopkinton State Park
Transportation and Commute
Principal highways in include State Routes 126 and 135. The Massachusetts Turnpike, Interstate 90, is easily accessible in the neighboring town of Framingham.
Commuter rail service from Boston’s South Station is provided by the MBTA with the Ashland station on its Framingham/Worcester Line. The station is accessible from either Pleasant St or from an access road off of Union St that runs behind Ashland Middle School.
The average one-way commute takes approximately 36 minutes. 83% of commuters drive their own car alone, 6% carpool with others and5% take mass transit.
Ashland MA Restaurants
- Stones Public House – Formerly known as John Stones Inn. Traditional American fair in a comfortable atmosphere. Famous for being haunted!
- TJ’s Spirits – known for their cheap menu and heavy handed drinks. Excellent outside deck in the warmer months.
- Burnhams Supper House – Excellent American food at a reasonable price.
- Il Forno Restaurant – Authentic Italian cuisine. Bring your own alcohol.
- Cherry Blossom – Chinese cuisine and cocktail lounge.
Bill Gassett – Ashland Massachusetts Realtor
If you’re thinking about selling your home, investment property or other Ashland Real Estate, allow me to help make the transaction a smooth and pleasant experience. If you’re in the market to buy Real Estate, you’ll find a variety of residential options to choose from to fit your lifestyle budget and needs.
Whether you’re looking to buy or sell Real Estate, my goal is to provide expert advice and exceptional customer service utilizing the latest, cutting-edge Internet marketing technology available.
A few of my accomplishments that I am proud of include:
- Graduated with B.S. in Marketing and Management Northeastern University Boston, MA. Active participant in the Cooperative Education Program.
- Full time Realtor for past 26 years servicing Metrowest MA including Ashland MA.
- Member of National Association of Realtors & Greater Boston Real Estate Board.
- Prior to joining RE/MAX in 1996 was one of the top agents in MA for the Prudential Real Estate.
- Have been ranked one of the top 5 RE/MAX agents in Massachusetts each year, for twelve out of the past thirteen years.
- #1 agent at RE/MAX Executive Realty - a five office company with over 135 agents. RE/MAX Executive Realty is one of the largest RE/MAX company’s in Massachusetts with offices in Hopkinton, Holliston, Medfield, Grafton, and Franklin.
- Elected to RE/MAX Hall of Fame.
- RE/MAX Lifetime Achievement award.
- Have been ranked as high as #19 RE/MAX agent in the United States.
- Featured in Who’s Who In Real Estate.
- In 2012 was the #1 RE/MAX Realtor in all of New England.
I have been listing and selling homes in and around Metrowest Massachusetts for the last 26+ years. Call or send me an email so we can discuss how I can best serve your Ashland MA Real Estate needs!
Bill Gassett ~ Realtor Ashland MA
RE/MAX Executive Realty
77 Main St, Hopkinton MA 01748
Connect with Bill’s Ashland Real Estate profile on Google+
See all Ashland MA homes for sale at the link provided below.
Map of Ashland, Massachusetts
View Larger Map
We're sorry, but it seems that we're having some problems loading MLS data from our database. Please check back soon.