Realtors Guide to Southborough Massachusetts
Southborough, also known as ‘Southboro,’ is an affluent town located in eastern Massachusetts in Worcester County, which incorporates the smaller villages of Cordaville, Fayville, and Southville.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Southboro has a total area of 15.7 square miles and is bordered by Hopkinton on the south, Framingham and Ashland on the east, Westborough and Northborough on the west, and Marlborough on the north.
The ZIP code in Southborough is 01772. Land use is primarily residential, with substantial open space. Light industrial land use is concentrated along main roads with several small business districts in the villages and along Route 9.
Southborough’s form of government is Open Town Meeting and the town’s administration is comprised of a Town Administrator and an elected Board of Selectmen
The town was first settled in 1660 and was officially incorporated in 1 727. The town was primarily a farming community until mills began to tap the small rivers that ran through it.
The Fayville Dam was constructed in 1898 to produce several reservoirs to supply a growing Boston with water. Manufacturing disappeared and the town didn’t see much growth until the high-tech boom of the 1970s.
Southborough prides itself on keeping its distance from commercialism and the downtown has many independent markets surrounded by open land.
Places of interest in Southborough include: 9/11 Field, Arts Center, Village House, Rural Cemetery, Breakneck Hill conservation land, Sudbury Reservoir Trail and St. Mark’s School.
In 2009, Southborough was named #31 in the nation on CNN Money’s ”100 Best Places to Live” and attracts many working professionals from Boston seeking a quieter, rural, commuter town.
Southborough (Southboro), MA Population Statistics
As of 2011, Southborough’s population is 9,823 people and there are 674 people per square mile (population density). Since 2000, Soutborough has experienced a population growth of 11.935. The median age is 37.1. 68.84% of people are married and 4.57% are divorced. The average household size is 3.03 people. 57.57% of people are married with children and 46.96% have children and are single.
Southborough (Southboro), MA Economy
The unemployment rate is 4.70%, with job growth at -1.22%. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be around 32.86%. The sales tax rate is 5.00% and income tax is 5.30%. Income per capita is $60,899, which includes all adults and children. The median household income in Southboro is $144,788.
Population by Occupation in Southborough (Southboro), MA
- Professional and Related Occupations 29.56%
- Service 6.66%
- Sales and Office 21.21%
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry 0.02%
- Construction, Extraction, and Maintenance 5.43%
- Production, Transportation, and Material Moving 4.95%
Southborough (Southboro) Climate and Health Index
The town gets 45 inches of rain and 48 inches of Snowfall per year. Number of days with any measurable precipitation is 123. On average, there are 197 sunny days per year with July highs around 84 degrees and January lows around 16 degrees.
Air quality is 38 on a scale to 100 (higher is better), based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air as reported by the EPA. Water quality is 52 on a scale to 100 (higher is better) as reported by the EPA.
Southborough (Southboro), MA Real Estate and Housing
If you’re in the market to buy Real estate or thinking about relocating to Southborough (Southboro) MA, you’ll find many residential options to choose from.
Whether you’re looking for luxury and estate homes, single-family homes, town homes or short sales, I am a Southborough MA Realtor that can help you find exactly what you’re looking for!
The median home value is $524,600 with home appreciation at -2.09% over the last year. The median age of Southborough Real Estate is 34 years. Renters make up 9.85% of Southboro’s population and 1.79% of houses and apartments are unoccupied (vacancy rate).
Southborough (Southboro), MA Public Schools
The mission of Public Schools of Northborough and Southborough is to “maximize academic achievement, social responsibility, and lifelong learning by attending to the intellectual and developmental needs of individual students in supportive classroom environments.”
Public Schools of Northborough and Southborough spend $4,818 per student. There are 14 pupils per teacher, 1,268 students per librarian and 488 children per counselor. The town has six public schools. Four elementary and middle schools are inside the town limits and two high schools are regional schools in adjoining towns that include:
- Mary E. Finn School – (Pre-K -1st grade)
- Albert S. Woodward School – (2nd and 3rd grade)
- Margaret A. Neary School – (4th and 5th grade)
- P. Brent Trottier Middle School- (6th, 7th, and 8th grade)
- Algonquin Regional High School in Northborough – (9th – 12th grade)
- Assabet Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School in Marlborough- (9th and 12th grade)
Colleges/Universities with over 2000 Students nearest to Southborough (Southboro), MA
- Framingham State College – Framingham,
- Wellesley College – Wellesley
- Quinsigamond Community College – Worcester
- Massachusetts Bay Community College – Wellesley Hills
- Babson College - Wellesley
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute – Worcester
- College of the Holy Cross – Worcester
Southborough (Southboro), MA Educational Statistics
- 2 yr College Grad. 6.62%
- 4 yr College Grad. 40.34%
- Graduate Degrees 28.33%
- High School Grads. 98.06%
Southborough (Southboro) Compared to State Average
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor’s degree or higher significantly above state average.
Hospitals/Medical Centers in Worcester County, MA
- Fairlawn Rehab Hospital
- Westborough State Hospital
- Saint Vincent Hospital
- Clinton Hospital
- Baystate Mary Lane Hospital
- NashobaValley Medical Center
- Adcare Hospital of Worcester
- UMass Mem-Marlborough Hospital
- MetroWest Medical Center
- Wing Mem Hosp & Med Centers
- UMass Memorial Medical Center
- HubbardRegional Hospital
- Milford Regional Medical Center
- Heywood Hospital
- Emerson Hospital
- Worcester State Hospital
- Harrington Memorial Hospital
- Landmark Medical Center
- Day Kimball Hospital
- Athol Memorial Hospital
Southborough (Southboro), MA Transportation and Commute
Interstate 495 and the Massachusetts Turnpike (I90) pass through the town (neither have interchanges within town limits). The MBTA Commuter Rail’s Framingham/Worcester Line train stops at Southborough Station.
Amtrak stations near Southborough include: Framingham (7 miles) and Worcester (14 miles). Logan International Airport with international and domestic flights from Boston, Massachusetts, is about 27 miles from the center of town.
Average one-way commute takes 32 minutes. 86% of commuters drive their own car alone, 6% carpool with others and 2% take mass transit.
Southborough (Southboro) Town/Government Resources
- Southboroughtown.com - Official website for the town of Southboro
- Southborough Police Deparment - Official site for the Police Department
- Southborough Fire Department - Official site for the Fire Department
- Southborough Public Library - Southboro Public library
- Building/Zoning Department - Access to the Building/zoning department
- Conservation Commission - Access to the Conservation Commission
- Southboro Board of Health - Access to the Board of Health
Southborough Massachusetts Realtor®
If you’re thinking about selling your home, investment property or other Southborough Real Estate, allow me to help make the transaction a smooth and pleasant experience.
If you’re in the market to buy Real Estate, you’ll find a variety of residential options to choose from to fit your lifestyle budget and needs.
Whether you’re looking to buy or sell, my goal is to provide expert advice and exceptional customer service utilizing the latest, cutting-edge Internet marketing technology available.
A few of my accomplishments that I am proud of include:
- Graduated with B.S. in Marketing and Management Northeastern University Boston, MA. Active participant in the Cooperative Education Program.
- Full time Realtor for past 26 years servicing Metrowest MA, including Southboro MA.
- Member of National Association of Realtors & Greater Boston Real Estate Board.
- Prior to joining RE/MAX in 1996 was one of the top agents in MA for the Prudential Real Estate.
- Have been ranked one of the top 5 RE/MAX agents in Massachusetts beach each year, for twelve out of the past thirteen years.
- #1 agent at RE/MAX Executive Realty - a five office company with over 135 agents. RE/MAX Executive Realty is on of the largest RE/MAX company’s in Massachusetts with offices in Hopkinton, Holliston, Medfield, Grafton, andFranklin.
- Elected to RE/MAX Hall of Fame.
- RE/MAX Lifetime Achievement award.
- Have been ranked as high as #19 RE/MAX agent in the United States.
- Featured in Who’s Who In Real Estate.
- In 2012 was the #1 RE/MAX Realtor in all of New England.
I have been listing and selling homes in and around Metrowest Massachusetts for the last 26+ years. Call or send me an email so we can discuss how I can best serve your Southborough MA Real Estate needs!
Bill Gassett ~ Realtor Southborough MA
RE/MAX Executive Realty
77 Main Street, Hopkinton MA 01748
Connect with Bill’s Southborough Real Estate profile on Google+
To see all Southboro MA homes for sale click the link provided below.
Map of Southboro, Massachusetts
See all Real estate in the city of Southborough.
(all data current as of 3/2/2014)
- $364,900 : 9 Lyman St, Southborough4 beds, 1 full, 1 part bathsListed with Hallmark Sotheby's International Realty
- $369,000 : 8 Rockpoint Road, Southborough3 beds, 2 full bathsListed with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Northborough Regional Office
- $379,900 : 7 Wildwood Dr, Unit 7, Southborough2 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with RE/MAX Executive Realty
- $389,000 : 36 Fisher Road, Southborough3 beds, 1 full, 1 part bathsListed with Era Key Realty Services- Fram
- $399,999 : 192 Parkerville Rd, Southborough4 beds, 2 full bathsListed with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Northborough Regional Office
- $459,900 : 12 Woodbury Rd, Southborough3 beds, 1 full, 1 part bathsListed with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Wayland
- $494,900 : 197 Cordaville Rd, Southborough3 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Keller Williams Realty Westborough
- $515,000 : 73 Marlboro Rd, Southborough3 beds, 2 full bathsListed with Hallmark Sotheby's International Realty
- $585,900 : 21 Richards Rd, Southborough3 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Benoit Mizner Simon & Co. - Weston - Boston Post Rd.
- $600,000 : 9 Johnson Road, Southborough5 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Keller Williams Realty Westborough
- $609,900 : 55 Edgewood Rd, Southborough3 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Framingham
- $639,900 : 12 Fisher Rd, Southborough4 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Hammond Residential
- $679,900 : 47 Woodbury Road, Southborough4 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with RE/MAX Signature Properties
- $699,000 : 3 Hubley Ln, Southborough4 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with Keller Williams Realty Westborough
- $709,900 : 160 Woodland Road, Southborough4 beds, 2 full, 1 part bathsListed with RE/MAX Signature Properties
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.